Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Anderson's gone Organic

I never thought I would be an organic freak.  Trust me I am not quite a freak yet.  But the other day Ethan and I decided (well I decided but made Ethan watch it also) to watch a documentary called "Food Inc.".  Oh my word let me tell you did it change my world!  
I always pride myself on being a so called "healthy" eater.  I love fresh fruit & veggies!  Yum.  I do on the occasion like to eat Taco Bell or McDonald's with the kids.  I don't think of that as a bad thing.  I know everything in moderation is fine.  But is it really fine if what we are eating in moderation is not raised to our highest standards?  
I don't want to go into complete detail about the movie because I believe that everyone should see it for themselves.  I for one want to know what is being put into my body.  My body is a temple and I should treat it that way.  I also want to know what I am putting into my children's mouth.  I believe everyone should watch it for knowledge about what is being put into our food that we think is "healthy".  Not knowing or not caring to know about what is in our food is just saying that you don't care about your body or what is being put in your body. 

Being organic.  

1.  I for one, know it is expensive to buy organic foods.  But when you buy them they taste so much better than "non" organic food.

2.  Grow your own garden.  So easy and cheap!  I know it is hard work, but it is so worth it in the end.  When you have your own tomatoes that you grew all by yourself it will be so worth it!  I have heard so many people say "I love fresh from the garden tomatoes"!  

3.  Buy some chickens or half of a cow from a local farmer.  Make sure when and if you do this that they are grass fed.  Very important.  Grass is what cows are supposed to be eating.  So much healthier for you also.

4.  Grow your own chickens.  I mean obviously if you don't own a home or can't grow chickens this one isn't for you.  But when I was growing up we had chickens and we have to always go get the eggs (which we hated by the way) from the nest.  It was a good learning experience for kids and adults.  We are going to be getting chickens this summer.

5.  Buy from a farmers market.  I know they don't have them around just yet, but that is best way to be organic also.  These are local farmers that are selling their food.  Food that doesn't have any pesticides in it.  

Just remember your body is a temple of God and you want to honor your body.  The best way to do that is to be mindful of what you are putting into your mouth.  If you ever get the chance to rent Food Inc.  I would do it!  It's better be knowledgeable about your food.  I heard this great quote that says  "The Truth is heavy, therefore few care to carry it". 

We have been organic for about 2-3 weeks now.  I can say for my whole family that we feel much better.  I can tell now that when I eat something that isn't organic my tummy will tell me right away.  Which let me tell you isn't fun, because sometimes I want bad food.  You kind of crave it if you haven't had it in awhile.  So once you do give in and get that pizza or Buffalo wings, it really wasn't worth all the hype you thought it was.  Your mind makes it a bigger deal than it really is.  But honestly my digestion is so much better with organic foods.  I guess I never realized how much my body was telling me that the food I was eating isn't good for me.  But being organic I have very rare issues with my stomach anymore!  Trust me guys you don't have to just jump right into being organic.  Take little steps and start buying organic crackers, or organic milk, or yogurt.  You don't have buy everything organic your first shopping trip.  I just want everyone to be mindful of their food.

Peace.  

2 comments:

  1. GREAT WORDS OF WISDOM!!!! SEE YOU FOR SOME GARDEN TILLING SOON :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 organic!! Wish we had a place like trader joe's around here, but we do have a couple farmers markets and a small co-op. Definitely more spendy, but so worth it when it's about your health!

    ReplyDelete